Tel / Fax: 01981 240564 Email:
Welcome to our Station House Web Site
We are a family run business offering:
We welcome couples, singles, children & pets to our original GWR station in the beautiful 'Marches' area midway between Hereford and Abergavenny.
Self - catering
Our self - catering cottage which sleeps 5 offers:-
* Two bedrooms - 1 double room & 1 twin room with additional bed in alcove.
Both rooms have washbasins and shaver points
All bedding, towels etc are provided free ( all beds have duvets with extra blankets).
* A large lounge with dining area overlooking the railway line,
with access to the fenced station platform.
* Heating is gas fired central heating ( included in the price)
* For cooking there is a gas cooker and microwave.
* Iron & ironing board are provided with washing facilities
available on request.
There is a fenced area outside the front door with garden chairs etc and access to the large garden which guests are welcome to use.
Children and pets are very welcome but please bear in mind the proximity of the railway line.
This is now a no smoking establishment.
Rates for 2022: £400 per week (all inclusive)
Deposit £100 per week
Short breaks available off peak at £80 per night
for a minimum of two nights.
Interests for those interested in the Railway
* Original GWR station buildings
* Passing passenger & freight trains on the
'North and West' route from Cardiff/Newport
to Shrewsbury/Crewe and the North.
* GWR lower quadrant semaphore signals
* Superb photographic locations.
* Plenty of trains to see at Newport or Cardiff (25 mins / 45 mins from Abergavenny).
* Preserved railways within easy reach including Severn Valley, Dean Forest and Brecon Mountain.
* Nearby traces of the Golden Valley branch to Hay-on-Wye.
For the Walker
* Local Walks in beautiful surroundings to Ewyas Harold,
Abbeydore, Grosmont & Kilpeck.
*The Offa's Dyke Path and Wye Valley Walk are within
* Good bus services to other places of interest.
For the Motorist
* Easy access from the A465 midway between Hereford &
Abergavenny, only 30 mls from the M4/5.
* Good 'B' road access to the Golden Valley,
Black Mountains, Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
* A chance to visit the interesting towns of Hereford( home of the Mappa Mundi), Ross-on-Wye,
Ledbury, Leominster and many more. There are too many to list them all, Practically every town
and Village has something of note for the visitor to see, like Kilpeck's Norman church,
Abbeydore's Cistercian Abbey still used as a Parish church and Goodrich with its fine castle.
* Buying quality Herefordshire produce from the excellent local suppliers.
*Have a day trip to Wales and explore Hay-on-Wye (town of books), Brecon, Abergavenny,
Monmouth and many more like Grosmont, Skenfrith and White Castle with their three border
* There is so much to do you will need to come again and again and we look forward to welcoming
you to this lovely part of Britain.
|Pontrilas Station was built by the Newport,
Abergavenny & Hereford Railway, and opened on 6th December 1853. There
was an initial service of four trains each way daily between Hereford and
The N.A.& H. Railway was subsequently absorbed by the Great Western Railway in 1863, the line later being jointly owned with the L.M.S.R.
The Golden Valley Railway branch line to Hay-on-Wye was opened on 1st September 1881 as far as Dorstone and later extended to Hay. The new station junction involved considerable addition to the track layout and buildings at Pontrilas.
|The signal box,
built by Mackenzie & Holland in 1880, contains 42 levers of which
about half are still currently in use. At the moment the box is currently manned for 24hrs with change over at 05.30 & 17.30 (a 12hr shift).
The Golden Valley branch, which led a precarious existence, closed to passengers on 15th December 1941, and was progressively truncated for freight traffic. From 3rd June 1957 only the short section into the MOD depot remained open, this finally closing in1969.
With the cessation of local stopping trains on the main
line, passenger services to Pontrilas ceased on 9th June 1958, and the
station was closed to goods traffic on 12th October 1964.
|A serious fire in 1980 severely damaged part of the premises, which lay derelict until our arrival in 1990, when we commenced rebuilding into self-catering holiday accommodation. Some 50 trains pass during the 24 hours on weekdays, approximately half comprising the hourly 'Express Sprinter' service from Cardiff to Manchester - 170 miles taking 3hrs 15min including 11 stops.|
|Some services run to Holyhead or Crewe. Freight services run regularly throughout the day and night, the main traffic being steel products from South Wales to Deeside. Other regular traffic is stone from Moreton-on-Lugg and Colas timber services.|
Please contact us at Station House:
For further details: